Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 4: Your favorite flower.

Well, I took a break from art this weekend so I could drive up to Amarillo and visit with my parents.  I don't think I'll ever get used to living in West Texas; it feels like I stepped straight into an old western movie.  Flat terrain, tumbleweeds, snakes (I almost stepped on one the other day), canyons, dry heat, and so much dust. I guess it has a certain vintage western charm to it but I don't think I'd want to live here all my life.  But I digress.

The challenge was to draw my favorite flower using pointillism.  Such a challenge indeed with all those little dots, I thought my wrist was going to fall off.  This is Prisma marker on regular sketch paper, nothing too extraordinary.  I can't imagine doing this in paints, I'd die lol.

A famous painting done in pointillism is "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat.  This painting is 6ft x 10 ft and took him about two years to complete and I now understand why: this painting is done entirely with little dots.  I tip my hat to you, Seurat.  You must have the patience of a saint.


4 comments:

  1. This is fabulous - my daughter was doing this in art in school recently - its such an effect way of producing art. Thanks for sharing, and my daughter was saying that her hand was sore after doing this too:-)

    http://karonskraftykorner.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What was her assignment? Some people will do the dots so tiny and takes a long time, I don't have the patience for that lol. I hope I burned calories working on this =P

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful! I remember doing this in art, also! So time consuming and PAINFUL! I thought I was going to get carpal tunnel, lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, how long did this one take you?

    ReplyDelete